Title III in a nutshell
The award of a federal multiyear grant at DCTC and IHCC is an opportunity to improve services for specific student populations at the colleges. In the case of the Title III Award; Adult Service, Success and Growth, the award allows the colleges to increase focus in an area of need, bringing new financial and personnel resources. In the Title III or T3 grant the financial and personnel resources support the development (or refinement) of systems, processes and supports related to adult learner retention, persistence and graduation.
Funded positions support the development of new and revised systems and processes, sometimes contributing via task force groups and at other times, supplementing direct services at both colleges. These positons are designed to increase capacity of the colleges so they can undertake new work and address priorities designed to benefit the adult learner population.
T3 has associated performance measures, in many cases, measures that each college already collects and uses in program review cycles and annual performance report cycles. These performance measures are used by the funders to determine if the extra human and financial resources had the intended impact on students.
Title III: Adult Service, Success and Growth
Primary Focus: Adult Learners
- Increase success and completion for underserved adult learners
- Reduce time to degree for adult learners
- Increase adult learner focused professional development for faculty and staff
Primary Implementation Strategies
Scheduling, Planning and Advising
Strategy 1: Develop career ladders infused with proactive, intrusive academic and career advising
- Implement a Two Year Course Scheduling Process
- Implement a Proactive, Program-Based Advising Model
- Expand the Career Focused Resources for Students
Accelerating to Finish
Strategy 2: Improve and expand prior learning assessment (PLA) with competency based education and assessment (CBE/CBA), and credit for prior learning (CPL).
- Implement a process for students to integrate college credential attainment with industry certification and credit for prior learning initiatives
Teaching and Learning: Online Options, Faculty Support, Instructional Technology
Strategy 3: Provide professional development to faculty, staff, and administrators to effectively fulfill the needs of the adult learner.
- Increase degree acceleration through hybrid and online course offerings