ΦΘΚ—Phi Theta Kappa
The International Two-Year College Honor Society
Alpha Omicron Beta Chapter—Inver Hills Community College
Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society for two-year colleges. Our mission is to recognize academic achievement of college students and to provide opportunities for them to grow as scholars and leaders. Once you join, your membership will automatically appear on your transcript, you can place it on your resume and college application materials, and access additional free four-year transfer college and university scholarships. The membership fee is $75 for new members and $10 for existing members who would like to transfer their membership to Inver Hills Community College.
Dear prospective Phi Theta Kappa member,
Welcome to Phi Theta Kappa! We are an international two-year college honor society with over 1200 chapters. Inver Hills is a top regional chapter. Joining places your membership automatically on your transcript and also allows you to place it on your resume and personal-statement application materials, and to access additional free four-year transfer college and university scholarships. Simply meet eligibility requirements below and apply. While we do not require it, we hope you also will consider volunteering, attending meetings, or otherwise being active in the chapter. For more information, go to e-mail email@example.com or talk with an Inver Hills Phi Theta Kappa Advisor. Please be sure that you meet the GPA requirements below (3.5 in one semester and a 3.25 overall average) before applying.
To join, please read and follow these directions carefully. Please do not proceed to “2.” below until you have met the eligibility requirements in “1.”:
- Determine your eligibility. You cannot join unless you meet these conditions:
- You must be a current student at IHCC who has completed at least 12 college level credits at Inver Hills.
- You must have attained a 3.5 GPA in one semester or more.
- You must maintain an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Fill out an application. Eligible students receive an email which includes a passcode from Phi Theta Kappa after the start of fall and spring semester. The best way to become a member is to follow the instructions in that email and pay your membership fee of $75 online.
- Fill out an application and return it to: If you do not receive an email, but are eligible, or if you would like to transfer from another chapter:
2500 East 80th Street
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
- You will receive an email letting you know the next steps. After you receive this email you can pay your membership fee at the Enrollment Center.
- If your GPA meets the membership requirements, you will receive an email from Jenni advising you to go to the Enrollment Center (2nd floor of College Center) to pay your $75 membership fee ($60 of this one-time fee goes to international and regional Phi Theta Kappa; the chapter only keeps $10). At the Enrollment Center, you may pay with cash, check or credit card. Partial scholarships for the membership fee are available to those who qualify. Complete the application and return it to Jenni Yamada, Student Life Office, College Center 116 (651-450-3754, firstname.lastname@example.org) with a note asking how to qualify for the lower payment.
Assume you are accepted if you haven’t heard from us for 3 weeks. After about 3-5 weeks, you should get an acceptance letter from International Headquarters and start receiving two weekly email newsletters—one from International Headquarters and one from our chapter (the latter during fall and spring terms only).
***You may join at any time, but we strongly encourage you to attend the next Orientation session and official Induction Ceremony. Two Orientation sessions are held on Student Success Day each fall and spring semester—see www.inverhills.edu/ssd. One Induction Ceremony is held mid-term each fall and spring semester. If you have questions, contact us at the below locations, email addresses, or phone numbers. We look forward to your membership!
Partial scholarships for the membership fee are available to those who qualify. Print and complete the application at www.ihptk.org and return it to Michelle Loredo in Health Services on the first floor of the College Center building with a note asking how to qualify for the lower payment. Contact email@example.com or 651-450-3530 for more information.
Advisors, IHCC Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor SocietyVicky Knickerbocker, firstname.lastname@example.org, Liberal Arts, LA-119, ph. 651-450-3745 Nicki Bottko, email@example.com, CC Bldg, Student Life, ph. 651-450-3530