Student Stories: Eric Lindberg

Paralegal Alumnus: Eric Lindberg

eric2Showing the Way

Social and environmental issues are important to Eric Lindberg, and he sees his paralegal education and the legal profession as a way for him to effect change. “I hope I can work in an organization that works for protection of the environment or on behalf of children or vulnerable adults,” says Lindberg, a nontraditional student who started at Inver Hills after working a variety of jobs.

“Understanding how and why laws are enacted is fascinating to me,” says the second-year student who wanted a career that was both interesting and challenging, but that can also provide him with a chance to make a difference in the world.

Along the way, Lindberg has connected at Inver Hills to make a difference for the college community. He was just appointed as a student representative to the Paralegal Advisory Board because of his involvement and leadership on campus and in the paralegal program, where he was named Outstanding Paralegal Student. “I never considered myself a student leader. I just like the idea of helping people find their way—especially after struggling so long trying to find my own,” he laughs.

As a student ambassador, he helps new students and prospective students by leading campus tours, assisting with registration at orientation, and answering questions. “I like to share my experience and enthusiasm about Inver Hills with others, showing them places like the Learning Center and explaining how counseling and other services can help them succeed.”

For more than a year now, Lindberg also has volunteered in his south Minneapolis neighborhood in a restorative justice program. “Community members like me meet with first-time offenders of nonviolent crimes to help educate them about the impact of their actions and offer a chance to make good on the harm they’ve done to their community,” says Lindberg. A contract is established and if the client completes it successfully, the charge does not appear on a criminal record. “The client, court system, and neighborhood all benefit,” explains Lindberg.