What is Happening at Inver Hills and Beyond?
Current paralegal program and off campus events will be posted on this page!
College Information Session
Are you interested in an exciting career as a paralegal, or have you always been interested in legal studies but just don’t know where to get started? If so, please join us for this information session to learn more about the American Bar Association approved Paralegal program at Inver Hills Community College! Please click here for more information and to sign up for the Thursday, June 22, 2017 session from 5-6 p.m.
1. MOCK TRIAL: Would you like to watch a trial conducted in a real courtroom with real state district court judges and then decide the outcome in one evening?
The University of St. Thomas School of Law’s Trial Advocacy program is looking for volunteers to serve as jurors in the students’ final trials on this fall at the Hennepin County Government Center in downtown Minneapolis.
The trials run from 5-9 pm with complimentary dinner, refreshments and snacks provided midway through the trials.
If you would like to serve as a juror for our students’ mock trials, please contact Uyen Campbell at 612-270-7201 or email@example.com. Thank you!
2. REQUIRED PARALEGAL INTERNSHIP MEETINGS
- Wednesday, September 27, 2017 – 4:30-5:50pm, HH 309
Are you ready to take an internship for Spring Session, 2018?
- Complete most of your paralegal coursework first, and have only 2 paralegal classes and one-two liberal arts classes remaining.
- Take Legal Research in advance and, (if possible but not required, Legal Writing), and receive a grade “C” or better.
- Prepare and bring to the meeting a draft cover letter and resume for application to an internship site, a copy of your DARS (degree audit report) to show your grades, and your calendar to schedule a future meeting with Sally Dahlquist, Director to review your materials and begin searching for a site.
- Contact Sally Dahlquist, Director at 651-450-3567 with questions or concerns or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Continuing Legal Education sessions – FREE to students
Dakota County CLES – https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/LawJustice/LawLibrary/CLE/Pages/default.aspx
Continuing Legal Education
The Dakota County Law Library and the 1st Judicial District Bar Association offer monthly CLE sessions in 2 locations. The sessions are free. You do not have to be a MSBA member to attend. If you plan to attend, please call 651-438-8244 or register online.
Apple Valley: Sessions will be held at the Dakota County Western Service Center. The address is 14955 Galaxie Avenue. CLE sessions are held in conference room L139 or 1920. They are generally scheduled for the second Tuesday of the month. All sessions are 8 a.m.-9 a.m.
Hastings: Sessions will be held in the Jury Assembly Room in the basement of the Judicial Center (unless otherwise noted). The sessions will be held from noon to 1 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month.
4. Minnesota Paralegal Association – Sectionals
5. Keyboarding and Computer Skills
- Have good keyboarding skills?
- Know your way around the computer?
- Know how to use Microsoft products such as Word, Excel and Access? These are skills that every paralegal should have or know how to use. These courses are NOT part of the paralegal program but you will need them for your first job.
There are Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint (BUS) classes as well!
Also, there is a link to Atomic Learning on the college’s webpage!!
We strongly recommend that you gain, brush up, or enhance your computer skills.
Contact the Paralegal Program Director or
contact a College Counselor for assistance or suggestions for keyboarding and computer skills