The Associate in Science degree is an excellent academic program designed for students who seek to become paralegals or work in law-related fields. Students benefit from rigorous, practical paralegal coursework as well as a wonderful liberal arts education. Our degree prepares graduates to meet all Paralegal Program goals, outcomes and objectives. Also, graduates may find a clear path to a four-year degree, and then on to law school.
Students must take 30 credits of paralegal curriculum courses, and 30 credits of liberal arts courses for a total of 60 credits for the Associate in Science degree. The Paralegal Program courses are offered so students can complete the degree in as little as 22 months or longer at the students’ option. The Program Director or College Counselors/Advisers are available to assist students to plan their courses.
Paralegal Curriculum (30 credits)
Click on the course title to get the description and outline:
- PA 1102: Introduction to the Law and Contracts: 4cr
- PA 1103: UCC and Business Organizations: 4cr
- PA 1105: Criminal Justice System: 2cr
- PA 2201: Family Law: 3cr
- PA 2202: Litigation and Trial Practice: 3cr
- PA 2204: Probate Law: 3cr
- PA 2205: Real Estate Law: 3cr
- PA 2220: Legal Research: 3cr
- PA 2222: Legal Writing and Analysis: 3cr
- PA 2289: Paralegal Internship: 2cr
Liberal Arts Curriculum (30 credits)
- ENG 1108: Writing and Research Skills: 4 cr
- ENG 1111: Research Writing in the Disciplines: 2 cr, or
ENG 1114: Research Paper: 3 cr
- COMM 1100: Interpersonal Communications: 3 cr, or
COMM 1110: Public Speaking: 3 cr, or
COMM 2230: Small Group Discussion and Leadership: 3 cr
- COMM 2240: Intercultural Communication: 3 cr
- Math or Science with a Lab: 3 cr (See Goal 3 or 4 of MnTC)
- History/Social Sciences/Behavioral Sciences: 3 cr (See Goal 5 of MnTC)
- Humanities/Fine Arts/Literature: 3 cr (See Goal 6 of MnTC)
- Liberal Arts electives: 8 – 9 cr (See MnTC Goals)
The following paralegal electives enhance students’ skills and increase knowledge in these areas of law, but do not count toward the required paralegal coursework to graduate. These electives are offered sporadically based on student demand.
- PA 1115 Law Office Procedures and Technology: 2cr
- PA 2206 Interviewing and Investigative Techniques for Paralegals: 2 cr
- PA 2208 Employment Law: 2 cr
- PA 2212 Personal Injury and E-Discovery: 2 cr
- PA 2218 Computerized Legal Research and the Internet: 2cr
Note: Students must take at least ten (10) semester credits of legal specialty courses through traditional classroom instruction under American Bar Association Guidelines. Also, paralegals and graduates do not practice law or give legal advice unless permitted by law.
Students who plan to transfer to a four-year bachelor’s program must meet the specific requirements of that college or university. Please see an Inver Hills college counselor/adviser early to help plan a smooth transfer. Coursework listed above may be subject to change. Please consult the official college catalog for current information.
Degree Completion Plan
Click on the course sequence to plan degree completion:
Students must earn a minimum of 60 semester credits and maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale to graduate from Inver Hills Community College.
Obtain Computer Skills Independently
It is strongly recommended that paralegal students obtain computer skills independently as these classes are not part of the program. However, student will earn the National Society of Legal Technology Certification as part of the Paralegal Internship coursework and be required to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint in the paralegal classes. The ability to use the keyboard and word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software are basic skills needed in the paralegal profession. Students should utilize the “Atomic Learning” training modules found on the Inver Hills website to gain computers skills. Please feel free to plan early with a counselor/adviser or program director.
For more information, the Paralegal Program at 651-450-3567 or email@example.com.